Your Actions Could Impact Your Claim
Even if you follow all the rules of the road, it may not save you from becoming the victim of a motor vehicle accident. What you do in the immediate aftermath of the crash could make a difference in the outcome of any claim you may file against the insurance company of the other driver.
A word of warning: Refrain from making any statements that someone could misconstrue as admissions of shared fault for the accident. Instead, wait until you have had the chance to talk to an attorney about your rights and legal options. Katnik & Katnik Lawyers offers a free initial consultation. Call 714-547-0848 to talk to our attorneys in Santa Ana, California.
What Should You Do?
Below is a list of actions you can take after an accident that may preserve valuable evidence that you may need later:
- If you are able to get out of your vehicle, do so safely. Your vehicle may not be moving, but other traffic could come across the scene of your accident unaware.
- Even if you don’t feel as though you suffered any injuries, you should seek medical attention immediately. Adrenaline and shock can mask serious injuries that you may not be aware of right away.
- Whatever treatment your doctors prescribe for your injuries, be sure to stick to it until you recover.
- Keep copies of your medical records from the emergency room and any other facilities that conducted medical or medical-related exams, diagnoses or treatments.
- Take pictures of the vehicles and the scene if you can. If not, ask someone else to do it for you.
- Obtain the names, telephone numbers and addresses of anyone who witnessed the accident.
- It’s ok to tell police that you don’t know what happened, especially since you may not be sure exactly what happened just yet.
- Don’t answer any questions from, sign any forms for or provide a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company.
Talk To An Attorney First
The insurance company’s goal is to minimize your recovery or deny your claim altogether. Before you make any statements to anyone regarding an accident, take advantage of the free initial consultation offered by Katnik & Katnik Lawyers by calling 714-547-0848 or contact us online.