Getting injured on the job is a frightening experience. It is especially horrible if your injury stops you from returning to work, even if it is for just a short time. You probably worry about your finances and how you will be able to pay your bills if you cannot work. That is why California mandates that employers carry workers’ compensation insurance. However, if you are an undocumented worker, you may feel that even this insurance will not provide you protection. You are probably incorrect.

According to the Department of Industrial Relations, undocumented workers still have rights in the state to coverage for on-the-job accidents. You can file a claim and get benefits just like any other workers. You should not shy away from using this system because you are undocumented. Your employer must provide you with this coverage because it is the law.

You will have the right to medical treatment, which workers’ compensation will pay for. Any medical expenses related to your injury will have coverage under the benefits. If your injury requires it, workers’ compensation also pays for rehabilitation and additional job training. None of these services will cost you anything as long as the need for them relates to your workplace injury.

You can use the normal workers’ compensation forms and process. Do not let anyone tell you there is a special process for undocumented workers. You use the same system as everyone else. In addition, do not let your employer tell you that you will lose your job if you file. It is illegal for an employer to fire an employee for getting these benefits.